New Delhi Airport
Indira Gandhi International Airport
Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL)
The Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport in New Delhi serves the National Capital Region (NCR). Situated in the capital city of India, which is a prominent business and tourist destination, the airport attracts many passengers. It is, in fact, India’s busiest and largest airport in terms of passenger traffic.
Built during World War II as an Air Force Station, the New Delhi Airport was initially named Palam Airport after the suburb of the same name. It was renamed Indira Gandhi International Airport after India's only female Prime Minister in 1986 when a new terminal was inaugurated on account of the increasing air traffic.
Ranked as the 8th largest airport in the world, IGI Airport boasts of state-of-the-art facilities. It has won several prestigious awards including the No. 1 Airport in Airports Council International’s (ACI) Airport Service Quality Awards in 2014.
The New Delhi airport is connected to a large number of domestic as well as International cities.
Domestic flights ply to and from major cities like Mumbai, Chennai, and Hyderabad as well as others like Bhopal and Siliguri. Among these, New Delhi to Mumbai and New Delhi to Bangalore are the airport’s most popular routes. SpiceJet, IndiGo, and Jet Airways are among the major domestic airlines operating in at the IGI Airport.
The city is well-connected to international destinations like Dubai, London, Singapore, and Abu Dhabi, among others. Major airlines such as Etihad, British Airways, Lufthansa Airlines, and Air France offer flight services at the IGI airport. The most traveled international routes from here include New Delhi to Abu Dhabi and New Delhi to London.
The New Delhi Airport has a total of two terminals handling domestic traffic. Terminal 1 is entirely dedicated to domestic flights with Terminal 1D for departures and Terminal 1C for arrivals. Terminal 3 handles the arrivals and departures of both domestic as well as international flights.
Traveling in and Around
The ‘Orange Line’ of the Delhi Metro Rail facilitates travel between the airport and the city centre. This superfast express metro runs between the Dwarka Sector 21 station and New Delhi station on all days.
Inter-state and inter-city bus services extend to the New Delhi Airport making it easier to travel to and from different cities.
Radio taxis and car rental services are easily available for traveling to and from the airport.
The airport provides inter-terminal shuttle services for passengers.
Services and Facilities
Ensuring the best travel experience for its passengers, the New Delhi airport provides some of the best leisure services. Travelers’ lounges are available for passengers to get some rest.
Keeping in mind the convenience of traveling families, the airport has special rooms designated for children, equipped with games, diapers, and other necessities. Strollers are available at Terminal 1D.
Medical facilities are stationed at terminals to handle emergency situations. The IGI Airport is sensitive to the care of travelers with special needs as well as unaccompanied minors. Certain parking slots have been reserved especially for physically challenged travelers.
Other useful services include luggage trolleys, ATMs, free Wi-Fi , travel insurance booth, and refreshments.
Things to Do
Having to wait for your flights at the IGI Airport need not be tiresome or boring. The airport ensures that you can enjoy each journey even before it begins. Recreational activities such as spa and massages are available at the airport lounges. Use these services to get rid of travel fatigue and relax before your next journey. Besides, there are several shopping outlets within the airport. Purchase forgotten essentials at the last minute or beautiful souvenirs and handicrafts for loved ones back home; the IGI Airport offers you a fun shopping experience while you wait for your flight.
You need not go hotel-hunting to spend the night in New Delhi. The IGI Airport has its own in-house transit hotel, with all the amenities and services you need to ensure a comfortable stay. Besides, there are several luxury hotels around the airport such as Hotel The Class and Holiday Inn. Budget hotels such as Holiday Le Princess and Hotel Hi-Life are also situated nearby.
Finding your way around this large airport can get confusing. In such cases, simply consult an airport map or ask for assistance from staff members at the information desks.
Double-check that your flight is on schedule through the live schedule on the airport website during bad weather conditions.
New Delhi, the capital of India, is also a popular tourist destination, on account of its historical and cultural significance. From the magnificent India Gate to the majestic Purana Qila, the city offers many attractions. .Book your flight to New Delhi today and explore the city’s many delights!
- What are the top airline brands that operate from New Delhi airport frequently? The top airline brands that operate from New Delhi airport frequently are – Air Canada, United and Uzbekistan.
- What is the airport code for New Delhi airport? The IATA code for the New Delhi airport is DEL.
- What are the most frequent routes from New Delhi airport? The most popular sectors from New Delhi airport are New Delhi to Toronto with 1710 weekly flights respectively.
- When does the first flight leave from New Delhi airport? The first flight from New Delhi to Toronto is at 12:10 AM, which is Air Canada airline 071 followed by Uzbekistan 426 which leaves at 12:15 AM.
- When does the last flight leave from New Delhi airport? Aeroflot Russian Airlines 233 to Toronto is the last flight that departs from airport at 11:50 PM.
Top International Routes from New Delhi
- New Delhi Kozhikode Flights
- New Delhi Kullu Flights
- New Delhi Mumbai Flights
- New Delhi Bangalore Flights
- New Delhi Chennai Flights
- New Delhi Kolkata Flights
- New Delhi Hyderabad Flights
- New Delhi Chandigarh Flights
- New Delhi Jaipur Flights
- New Delhi Ahmedabad Flights
- New Delhi Leeds Flights
- New Delhi Fort Myers Flights
- New Delhi Minsk Flights
- New Delhi Manama Flights
- New Delhi Vilnius Flights
- New Delhi Bandung Flights
- New Delhi Quito Flights
- New Delhi Thunder Bay Flights
- New Delhi Saint Louis Flights
- New Delhi Kaliningrad Flights
- New Delhi Bamako Flights
- New Delhi San Antonio Flights
- New Delhi Siem Reap Flights
- New Delhi Wellington Flights
- New Delhi Sofia Flights
- New Delhi Little Rock Flights
- New Delhi Pittsburgh Flights
- New Delhi Yekaterinburg Flights
- New Delhi Kunming Flights
- New Delhi Cairns Flights
- New Delhi Halifax Flights
- New Delhi Hamburg Flights
- New Delhi Hanoi Flights
- New Delhi Fort St John Flights
- New Delhi Basel Mulhouse Flights
- New Delhi Aqtau Flights
- New Delhi Ko Samui Flights
- New Delhi Naples Flights
- New Delhi Trondheim Flights
- New Delhi Louisville Flights
- New Delhi Zagreb Flights
- New Delhi Leipzig Flights
- New Delhi Kansas City Flights
Top Domestic Flight Schedules
Top International Flight Schedules
New Delhi Airport Details
- Indira Gandhi International Airport
- "Airport Road
- 91 124 3376000.